I connected with a High School friend of Marty's on Facebook, Ron Whitrow

Hi Kaye,


Of course I remember Marty. He was by far the best of all of us. He use to make me laugh with his mannerisms and the things he would say. Marty was just too funny!



I was pretty angry at Ronnie Swan for a long time after that. Anyone getting in a car with him took their life in their hands. It was, and still is a really sad memory.



We were driving back from play a gig in Rich Hill and seen accident not too long after it happened. Cops and ambulances were on the scene. All we could see was a car upsidedown. We didn't have a clue who it was until we heard the next day.



I can see Marty in your face. Ron
 
Ron, just having a friend of Marty's to talk to brings me to tears. I love to hear stories of his short life and his kindness. I always compared him to "Wally Cleaver"! You saw the accident? That sends chills through my body knowing I have connected with someone who was there but did not know it was Marty. My Dad was DEVASTED until the day he passed away April 8th, 2008. Mom died 27 days before him. I was 14 when Marty was killed, our phone rang about 2:00 a.m. and Ingles Ferry simply said to my Dad "We have your son's body here" Then our entire rest of our lifes was turned "UPSIDE DOWN" We had to start school the day after Marty's funeral and NOT ONE TEACHER OR COUNSLER SAID A WORD TO US! They felt in those days it was better to NOT talk about trama in familes personal life and perhaps it would just simply be forgotten and we as a family would move on. After Marty was killed I struggled in school and went from straight A's to just dropping out after my Junior year ( I finished with a GED with the help of Mr. Reed)  I had to take Marty's place working with Mom and Dad in the Janitor service. I worked until 2-3:00 a.m everyday and could not keep up with my school work.


My Dad talked to Trooper Atkinson in the driveway of our house on Main St. I hid behind a tree and listened. He told Dad Marty was not killed instantly as the Daily Mail FULL PAGE headlines read. Marty was in the middle of the front seat. P.S. After Marty was killed Ron told in court that Marty was driving! What a Scuz!!! Dad did not press man slaugher out of the goodness of his heart-HE SHOULD HAVE! "he said it would not bring Marty back"? Trooper Atkinson said Marty had nothing to hang on to like Ron and Jarrel-Jarrel said Marty pushed both his hands up to the roof of the car and tried to hold on. Jarrel went out the passanger door, Marty was thrown through the wideshield and Ron remained in the car holding onto the steering wheel. Marty was alive after the accident, Jarrel said-he said Marty was begging God to help him. He bled to death.

Comments

Popular Posts