The third Vernon County Courthouse was built in 1908 of Carthage “Marble”. The Romanesque Revival structure was the first courthouse built in Missouri after the Civil War. At a cost of $71,186.00, the original building committee wrote in their minutes: “…Vernon County will have, for the money expended, one of the very best, and most substantial, fireproof buildings ever erected in this state.
The three-story building is 80’ x 100’ and rises to 126’ at the top of its dome. The plan of architect Robert G. Kirsch was selected in March, 1906. It was similar to his designs of the 19th century courthouses of Adair and Johnson counties, and the 20th century Polk County courthouse. Construction bids, however, exceeded the $75,000.00 limit set by the court. Kirsch changed the plans and used less expensive materials, changed the main staircase from marble and iron to quarter-sawed oak and allowed contractors options on materials for the inside foundation above the footings.
Nevada construction company, Dye and Beagles, won the bid to built the courthouse. The Carthage “Marble” was brought in by train. The courtroom, which seats 310 is on the second floor. The jail was planned for the fourth floor but changed because of excessive summer heat. Cornerstone ceremonies took place October 30, 1906. Completed in February, 1908, it ran over budget costing almost $80,000.00.
Totally restored at the end of the 20th century, the new red tile roof cost more than twice the cost of the original building. The interior has been completely restored and the outside sandblasted and waterproofed.