Carwyn "the kitten"






Last Thursday, May 18th I brought home a rescue cat from the Harrisonville Animal Shelter. I saw a Facebook post about him, and just had to have that little kitten! After several days and weeks of inquiries and applications with references, I got him (at first it was her! then I found out it was a he) been through that before with Mr. River Quay cat, Dec.2022-Dec. 2023. The Shelter's young girl, Jessi who rescued him from inside a car engine (the car was a Jeep Renegade) named him Carwyn. I am beside myself with names for him, but I like Carwyn! So maybe Carwyn? He was stuck in a car and he won getting out! He was in the car engine for 2 days! It took 2 hours to get him out! He kept running around in the engine! Finally, Jessi played a mother cat purring on her phone and he came to the sound. 

Day 1; Thursday, May 18, I brought him home. Was reminded by Jessi before leaving the shelter with him, "he still is a little feral" Remembering that, when we got him home he promptly hid. I had no idea where he was? So I just went about my way acting like he didn't exist to let him get familiar with the place. After all, he is only 3 months old, was in a cage since the rescue, and has had a Vet checkup, shots, and neutered. That's a lot of things going on! Now a new home! Can you imagine what a little cat on the floor sees with giant feet and hands approaching him and grabbing him?? I would be afraid also! 

Day 2; Friday 19th, Rising in the morning I decided to continue acting like he did not exist, letting him do anything he wanted. As I sat at my computer in the living room he finally came out! I pretended to not notice him. Even if I looked his way he took off! Gradually within a few hours, he was out playing with ALL his toys. It was getting close to 4pm which is happy hour for me. I pushed back my chair and went over to the kitchen (I live in a condo-like apartment, so the living room and kitchen are one big room) I think Carwyn thought he was in a giant cage for he never ventured anywhere else in the apartment! He had his toys, food, and litter box all right there within reach! As I was standing in the kitchen at the counter here comes Carwyn from under the lounge in the living room to join me! With one little "meow" he was out! I placed a tiny piece of cheese in my fingers and held it down to him, he gobbled that up and wanted more. I had some small pieces of chicken and he munched on that. Over happy hour we became lifetime buddies! He was feral no more! We spent the evening watching TV and playing with toys. I did through all these adjustments have my iPad on the floor playing a mother cat purring. I think this was a key point from day one I did this 24/7 helped with the adjustment.

Day 3; Saturday 20th, Good Morning Meow! Play and eat, eat and play! We spent the day adjusting to each other. I played Cat TV from youtube all day and he watched most of the day! HE LOVED IT! Chasing birds and squirrels! He adjusted so fast and so well! I was expecting 2 weeks or more to adjust to humans! He still will run when abruptly approached or a stranger. 

Day 4; Sunday 21st, Good Morning Meow! He never leaves the living room/kitchen area so he is always there with the good morning meow! Then I left for an afternoon at Andrew's. I left my big desktop Mac computer on a bird video and he was also busy watching he never noticed I left! Returning I could tell what toys he played with and he was wondering "What happened to happy hour today??? We had cheese and crackers, chicken pieces, 1/2 of a lickable cat treat, and later a tiny, tiny bowl of vanilla ice cream. (I did stop at CVS and got him more toys, mice, and balls are his favorite) Then bedtime. 


Day 5; Monday 22nd, Got my Good Morning Meow greeting and off to the races! I call him Speed Racer and Kit Kat! Of course, when I had breakfast he had to have breakfast! I gave him the remainder of the lickable treat and greenies treats, he had a bit of water, and now PLAYTIME! Carwyn played so much that he was wearing down, but first, he had to watch the printer! I forgot on Day 3, I printed 27 pages and he watched every second and was mesmerized! Video to view! 


OK, time for HAPPY HOUR AGAIN! Let's go Carwyn! The adventure continues!

Comments

Popular Posts