When
we were kids on Main Street for Easter my Dad would take us to the Hatchery uptown off the Square and he bought us a box of baby chicks. This would have been late 1950's early 1960's. We let them loose in our back yard and they ran everywhere! I remember when they got bigger (which was really fast) my Dad would load them up and take them to my big Sister's farm to add to the Chicken Coop.
The event of having live animals in our Main Street house backyard was not unusual for the Brittingham kids, especially my little brother Galen, he thought we lived on a farm and was destined to be a real Cowboy someday, after all he had the Cowboy hat, shirts, jeans and boots! Let me see if I can recall all the animals he brought home?
Galen was a regular at the Saturday morning Sale Barn that also was just off the square uptown within walking distance from our Main Street house. He brought home a Goat, Rabbits, a Duck, he collected 25 Turtles he kept in an old tractor wheel and 2 Ponies. Mind you Galen was only 9 or 10 years old! He was like Opie running around Mayberry.
After that a Pet Store opened uptown and had a Monkey, Galen tried to talk Dad into getting him the Monkey but instead they came home with a Raccoon!! He had the Raccoon in the living room and it got mean, it was hissing and went wild so that Raccoon got let loose outside of town somewhere!
I had a pet Peigeon named Homer, he always came to our laundry room window at the back of the house and I fed him. Then my Mom would let him into the laundry room. I would take him into the living room on my shoulder and I would talk to him and he would "bird talk back" he was so cool. One day he went missing and my friend Debbie and I found him at the bottom of the neighbors trash can. It had rained and he got caught by a dog.

Galen did not go on to be a Farmer or big time Rancher, not even a Veterinarian, he did become an Attorney so in his practice I hope he helped someone with the city ordinances that pertain to keeping farm animals in your back yard in the city!


Comments

Popular Posts