"My Dad's Keys"

(My dad's keys are hanging at his side)
In Feb. 2008 my Dad was very ill and transferred from Moore-Few Care Center to Freeman East Hospital in Joplin by the Staff employee's. After I arrived to visit him later I could not find his possessions, clothes etc. I went to the Nurses station and there on the desk was my Dad's watch! Not tagged or anything with his name. I knew it was his for I had bought it for him for his 60th wedding anniversary in 2003, it had a gold face. (My son Andrew Hergert has it now and holds the memories of his Grand Father through this watch, a very special  possession of his)
Then I asked where his possessions were, the nurse led me to a hall closet, opened the door, which was piled with white trash bags and said "somewhere in here" There was dozen's of bags not marked with the patient's names but a room number. I could "dig" if I wanted, she responded. Attending to Dad and limited time, I forgot to search for his possessions. I am very sad today I did not take time to find them. There were probably just his clothes and toiletries, but one thing My Dad NEVER-NEVER went anywhere without was his keys (house key, car keys etc) on a chain that would attach to his belt. So I never saw this very valuable possession of his again.
Seeing the suitcases of patients reminded me of my Dad's "left behind" possessions.

Comments

Popular Posts