Mom was the Pioneer of Grocery Delivery


I am home today cleaning house, AGAIN! YUK! I just sent Bill off to the grocery store with a list. This reminded me of how Mom used to get her groceries. Mom did not drive so she rang up the local market weekly read them her order and they would fill the order, box it up and deliver for 25 cents! They were only open until 5:00 p.m. and closed on Sunday. I will NEVER forget seeing her written list and her sitting by the phone calling in her order-it when something like this;

This is Mrs. Brittingham, I would like to leave and order to be delivered;
4 Gallons Milk
2 loafs bread
2 lbs mixed lunch meat
2 lbs american cheese
5 lbs ground hamburger
2 bags hamburger buns
2 packages Hot Dogs
1 jar ketchup
1 jar mustard
2 boxes macaroni
1 jar Peter Pan peanut butter
1 jar Grape Jelly
2 lb Oleo
1 bag onions
1 10lb bag pototoes
4 cans tomatoes
4 boxes fish sticks
4 boxes fish patties (Marty loved these!)
2 chili bricks (the market made these)
4 cans red beans
2 box crackers
4 cans yellow corn
4 cans green beans
4 bags Guy's PototoChips
2 cans hominey (Mom like this! YUK!)
2 cans spinach (Thurman thought he was Popeye!)
2 boxes of Rice Krispie Cereal
2 jars marshmellow cream (to make Rice Krispie treats!)
I box of Special K Cereal (for me! I thought this was the best cereal because it was my name!)
2 bags sandwich cookies
24 mixed candy bars
2 gallon of Neopolitan Ice cream
1 bottle Hersey's chocolate syrup
5 cans biscuits
2 cans tomato paste (we made mini pizza's)
10 packages of Koolaid
1 bottle Prell shamp00
1 bottle Listerine (this was for Dad)
1 tube Close-Up tooth paste
2 bars Zest soap
1 box Tide detergent

Give or take a few items, the list was pretty consistent.
After Marty turned 16 and was driving he would pick up the groceries either before or after school. I remember many times I would go with him just to go to the bakery next door and get glazed donuts and maple long johns! They were warm when we got them! What a wonderful simple time this was.

Comments

Popular Posts