Mayberrry USA




I have never told anyone how much the Andy Griffith Show was a part of my growing up. My little southern Missouri home town, Nevada Mo. was so similar to Mayberry. People in the 50's and 60's were honest and hard working. There was the "uptown square" as we kids called it that was home to family businesses. This was the town's livelihood. There was O.B. (Oberlin and Breckenridge families) Market, the Nicodemus family who owned the Western Auto Store, the Armitage family who owned the Hardware Store, the S. H. Kress & Co. dime store, Haden's Ladies Dress Shop, Flory's Pharmacy and Soda Fountain, Emery family Sports Shop, Scott's Dime Store, Edmiston Clothing Store, Cole's Department Store, Thomas's Drug Store, Veith's Cafe, Mode of Day Ladies Clothing Store, Richardson's Office Supply, Thorpe's Appliance Store, Shanks & Sterett's Men's Clothing Store and many more "Home Owned" businesses. Everyone in town knew the local business owner's families, they were the community, their children went to school with us they were the backbone of the town. At the same time as we all gathered around the black and white TV to watch Andy, Barney, Opie, Aunt Bee and all the stories of Mayberry my Dad was a Police Officer and was appointed Chief of Police.

My Dad was so much like Andy, honest, hard working, loyal to the community, and protective of the entire town. He had the same qualities of Sheriff Andy. He was as big as life it's self! His present just made me feel safe. He was honored to protect our town. Many people have told me stories of Dad and how after being stopped by him for speeding etc. he gave them a break because he knew the family. Dad and Mom suffered a massive loss when my brother Marty, 3 months out of high school was killed violently in a car accident. Our life went from Mayberry to a nightmare over night. My parent's NEVER recovered from Marty's death. BUT, one thing that would make them forget for at least 30 minutes a day was ANDY! My Dad would LAUGH (which was hard to make him smile or laugh after my brother's accident) Mom loved Barney and would laugh so hard she had tears running down her face! For this brief time of temporary "happiness" I thank Andy Griffith and ALWAYS will remember him for making my Dad smile again. I also honored my Son Andrew with Andy's name (I could not think of a name for him after he was born, then thinking "what name makes me smile and made my Dad laugh, Andy Griffith! That's it! I see my Dad smile every-time I hear my Son's name. Andrew has so many of my Dad's firm belief's for life and family. In Andrew my Dad will live on and Mayberry or Nevada will not be forgotten in my life. I miss you Dad and I will miss Andy.



Comments

Popular Posts