Dad's Kids, A Father's Day Gift

The last trip to the cemetery in May I took Dad a Father's Day gift. Everytime I went to the cemetery with Mom and Dad he would walk me over to another stone and tell me this is what he wanted, everything just like these people had done. The front was to be 2 wedding rings intwined with the day they got married and the back was to be all of our names. Barbara and I worked for weeks designing Mom and Dad's stone. We finally come up with almost the exact stone Dad had asked for (Mom never wanted to discuss it) she would say "Oh Stanley, you just worry to much" Kaye knows what you want you told her before!

Anyway, my gift to Dad was finding a picture frame that would weather the outdoors and I wanted to give him the picture he took of all of us, so that's what I did! This picture was taken at the Spring Street house, we were stairstep kids on wheels (Dad made sure we were all on wheels! even Thurman in a stroller)!!! summer 1956-57.

Marilyn added beautiful dew drop roses for Mom, Dad, Marty, Mary, Grandma and Grandpa Brittingham. Barbara and I helped with the arrangement.

It's very lonely there but yet quite and serene. Only the sound of the train in the distant background. A picture on a stone puts a face to the life of a person (what is the old saying?) A picture is worth a thousand words, it truely is in a cemetery. When we left the cemetery that day, it looked so lovely and all the flower's were saying "You have not forgotten us"
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts