A Cold Winter Story From 1971


This is a picture of a 1970's mobile home, almost identical to the one we lived in from 1970-1974. I woke up this morning with the freezing cold and piles of snow and remembered one horrible night Marty and I spent in our mobile home in Booneville. It was Jan or Feb 1971, Marty was 3-4 months old. Dave had left to go out of town to set up a new Mattingly's Dime Store. That day a very bad winter storm blew in. The mobile home was setup on concrete blocks with the bottom of the furnace exposed. That night I put Marty in bed with me and went to sleep. I woke up in the early morning and it was FREEZING in the house! The blizzard like winds had blown out the pilot light to the furnace and I could not get it lit because the wind keep blowing it out. I had no phone (we couldn't afford one) and Dave had the only car we had. There was nothing for me to do but wrap Marty up in more blankets and I wrapped up in blankets beside him and was just going to wait it out and keep from both of us from being cold till I could figure out what to do? Later that early morning Dave walked in-he said he came home because of the storm and he wanted to check on us-THANK GOD!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts