My 1967 Frost Blue Mustang


We've been working hard trying to figure out more information on the Mustang sales promotion that ran between 1968 and 1969 on the west coast called the Rainbow of Colors which allowed new Mustang owners to order a car in one of 13 special factory of colors which represented the colors in the rainbow. Some of these colors were Madagascar Orange, Whipped Cream, Spanish Gold, Dandelion Yellow, Hot Pink, Caribbean Coral, Forest Green, Sierra Blue, and Moss Green. We've found owners of several cars and have been looking up paint codes to find out more. So here is a summary of what we have found so far.
All Rainbow of Colors promotional Mustangs were special order built in the San Jose plant, and to this date we have only found one's ordered in the Los Angeles and San Jose areas although they are rumored to be also ordered in the Seattle area. So look for Vehicle Identification numbers staring with 8R or 9R with a door data tag DSO code of 71 for Los Angeles or 72 for San Jose and a
four digit special order number following.
So far we have confirmed 72 1187 ordered in Los Angeles as a shipment of dealer Rainbow of Colors promotional Mustangs, 72 3313 a shipment of 10 Rainbow of Colors Mach 1s to Russ Davis of Covina California, and 71 0783 ordered in San Jose. A possibility is also 72 1185 from the Whipped Cream Mustang owner listed below.This morning I had read in the KC Star that President Clinton had a 1967 light blue convertible Mustang which he loaned to the Museum of Automobiles in Morrilton Ark. This struck up my memories of my mustang. Dad bought Marilyn and I a Frost Blue 1967 Mustang at Ford dealership in Nevada. This was a teenager girl's ULTIMATE DREAM CAR-SO GIRLIE GIRL! We had the Mustang with front license plates that said "THIS IS FORD COUNTRY' Donna Stark across the street had a 1967 royal blue Camero, her front license plate said "THIS IS CHEVY LAND" what fun competition!
The car in the picture is owned by Chris Simmons & his wife Kris, Tom Simmon's from "growing up in Nevada" son. Tom Simmon's also grew up in Nevada, he was George Simmon's cousin and they were both in Marilyn's class. Well Chris's wife Kris got the mustang from her Grandfather as a college graduation gift. They pulled up one day in front of my model home, I thought it was 2000? in this car-I jumped out of my chair and run out to the street, I knew this had to be my old car somehow?? Well, it was all original and there was something that told me this was not my car-it was a manual and ours was an automatic. I still search for my car and would love to have it back! I found one in Blue Springs once in 1987, private owned they wanted $10,000 for it. I told Dave I wanted that car, he said I was crazy!!
I also search ebay where they sell for as much as $30,000.00!! I still hope someday to buy one like I had to drive just for the memories! What an AWESOME Dad we had!! Thanks Dad for the memories!

Comments

Popular Posts