Mom & Me Memories

"Before Love Blooms it gets it's start deep within a Mothers Heart"

Angels do exsist on Earth. Mom was one. Mom was very optimistic. She was funny. She loved to laugh. I think back as far as I can remember and Mom was always there. She was always up and around in the early mornings before any of us kids got up. She had 6 children to send off to school each day at one point.



When I was very little I remember Mom feeding Thurman baby food on Spring Street. I perched on the arm of the chair beside her for she would let me lick out the jar. I remember ducking behind the sofa and chairs on Spring Street and licking Dad's ash trays. Mom would say to Dad, it's o.k., Kaye stop doing that, it will make you sick.




I remember on Ash Street a quick memory, a flash of Mom ironing in the living room, Mable the next door neighbor pounding on the window, and Mom told us to be quiet because she did not want to visit with Mable. Mable was an "Old Maid" that lived in a tiny house next door to Mom and Dad. She liked Mom and us kids. I remember when we moved to Main Street after years and years of not seeing Mable, she would walk by on the way to town. She always had on a coat and hat on, even in the summer. When Marty died, I remember she came up to the house, Barbara walked out and met her and they hugged, I am sure she loved Marty also.




I remember the 2 bedroom house on Spring Street. Marilyn and I slept in a full size bed in Mom and Dad's bedroom. Thurman and Galen had cribs in the same room. So six people in one bedroom. Barbara and Marty shared the other bedroom. I remember the Hirshman's next door, they also had 6 children. I remember summer's and just running back and forth between both houses. Mrs. Hirshman doing her laundry with a wringer washer on the back patio. I do not remember Mom having a washer, but do remember her hanging laundry on the clothes line.




I remember going to Spring Street park to play on Big Rock, I am sure Big Rock is still there, I need to go back and see. Perhaps it would not be as "Big" as I remember.




I remember going to the people's house that Mom and Dad rented from on Spring Street. They had a dog that I got to close to and it bite me in the face.




I remember moving from Spring Street to Cherry Street and we use Glen's Tree Trimming Truck. Dad was hauling stuff to the City dumps and he would back onto the cliff edge and pertend to not be able to stop!! He could have went over the edge!!! He did this to scare us and was just playing. Today when I think of this I am terrified! I remember the Trash Picker's at the City Dumps, they were always there and had pokers and dug through the piles of trash that people dumped.




We moved to Cherry Street and I remember Mom answering the door on the 1st day of every month to greet the land lady, Mrs. Todd. Mom always was cleaning, cooking and do laundry on the back porch in her wringer washer. I helped her hang the clothes on the clothes line in the back yard.








I remember Midnight our dog getting into a dog fight with a neighborhood dog and Mom would get the garden hose out to spray on them to break up the fight.








Then we moved to Main Street. I remember Mom watching her favorite TV shows. One evening after I went to PTA meeting with Debbie and her Mom at Bryan School, I came home and Mom was lying on the couch and laughing till she cried, she said "it's a new show about these Hillbillies that come to Hollywood" The Beverly Hillbillies" she loved Granny Clampett!













For some reason, Mom and I ended up at home together on Sunday afternoons, all the other kids were gone somewhere and Dad would go, what they called "check the buildings" before the worker's came back on Monday morning. They were fearful if they cleaned on Friday night that some of the employee's may come in and work Sat or Sun and they wanted to make sure that all was clean by Monday morning at 8:00 a.m. Mom and I watched TV, I remember the watching the Twight Light Zone, especially and epsoide with Agnus Moorehead, where she was trying to get little spacemen out of her house. It turns out that the spacemen were normal size humans and she was a giant.







Opening narration “This is one of the out-of-the-way places, the unvisited places, bleak, wasted, dying. This is a farmhouse, handmade, crude, a house without electricity or gas, a house untouched by progress. This is the woman who lives in the house, a woman who's been alone for many years, a strong, simple woman whose only problem up until this moment has been that of acquiring enough food to eat, a woman about to face terror which is even now coming at her from the Twilight Zone.”[edit] SynopsisAn old woman (played by Agnes Moorhead) is apparently living alone in a very rustic cabin. She is dressed shabbily and there are no modern conveniences in evidence. After hearing a strange noise from the sleeping loft, she is accosted by small intruders that come from a miniature flying saucer that has landed on her house, equipped with two tiny people in spacesuits. In proportion to the old woman, the intruders appear to be only a few inches high.She battles them for many minutes, finally killing one and following the other back to his ship. There she hears one of the space-suited intruders, speaking in English with an apparent American accent, send off a desperate warning to other potential invaders that the people from the planet are giants and very difficult to defeat, after which she destroys the ship with an axe.The camera pans and we see the side of the ship display U.S. Air Force Space Probe


Mom and I would make Tuna Casserole and fry beef liver and onions. It was one of the most special times I can remember spending with Mom.




Mom was always up before 6:00 a.m. in the morning with all the laundry and ironing done, house clean and ready to fix us any breakfast we wanted. There were many nights when Mom worked with Dad until the early morning and still got up before 6:00 a.m. I remember Mom would go to work with Dad at 5:00 to do the "buildings" as we called them. Then after the buildings they would go to grocery stores that closed at 8:00 or 9:00 and clean and scrub the floors unit early in the morning. Mom would come home, shower and go to bed, Dad would start cooking and watching TV. It was quite a routine.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts