The Chew's and The Brittingham's

I read the Nevada Daily Mail online. This morning was a fascinating event to me which brought back many happy childhood memories of growing up on Cherry Street in the late 50's.

The Exhibit of Harry Chew's art, reception set for March 28th, 2009.
The family of Harry Chew is holding a reception of his art. When we lived on Cherry Street, we lived in the area of Cottey College. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottey_College

Mr Chew was an Art Professor at Cottey and they lived behind us and down the alley a way. Their house was magnificent! It was contemporary, a big 2 story white stucco home on the corner across from Cottey. Galen and I always played at The Chew's, I think Pam and Galen were the same age. I remember her little sister who later as a teenager was killed in an auto accident. Then there was Winston the baby that was born around the time we lived on Cherry Street.

One thing about the Chew's house I vividly remember was a huge painting of a nude lady over the fireplace in the living room. The first time I saw it I stopped dead in my tracks and just stared! I had never seen any picture like that or as big as that picture was!

For some reason the Chew home was demolished?? I think Cottey owned it, but why they torn it down I will never know?

Exhibit of Harry Chew's art, reception set for March 28th,2009 Nevada Daily Mail
A unique reception with Dodi, Pam, and Winston Chew celebrating an exhibition of the late Harry Chew's art work, which is to be on display at Cottey College will be held in Nevada this weekend.
The reception will be held on Saturday, March 28, from 3-5 p.m., in the foyer of the Haidee and Allen Wild Center for the Arts on the Cottey College campus.
Harry Chew began teaching at Cottey College in 1951 and was a professor of art for 27 years. He was chair of the Fine Arts division and held the Gene Wild-Missouri Professor of Fine Arts Chair at Cottey College. He earned a B.F.A. and M.F.A. from the Kansas City Art Institute and School of Design. His art work was recognized nationally.
The exhibit will be inside the P.E.O. Foundation Art Gallery of the Center for the Arts.
The Center for the Arts is located on the northeast corner of Austin and Tower streets in Nevada.
The reception and exhibit are free and open to the public.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts