August 1999

Tomorrow I am going for a Heart Stress Test. My Doctor suggested that I do this test last April. Thinking it was just a waste of time and money, I put it off. Recently just climbing a few steps, I am out of breathe. So before I start doing jumping jacks to improve my health my "Gut" feeling said to get the Stress Test first.

I also remember the Friday evening in Aug. 1999 when Mom called me (I had never gotten a long distance phone call from Mom, it was unheard of for her to do this! Dad always made the long distance calls) I answered the phone and she said "Kaye, your Daddy had a heart test today and it's really bad" I said what, Dad is so healthy? She ask me if I would come down and take Dad to Joplin to see the Heart Doctor the next Tuesday morning, (that's when they worked him in for an appointment!) Amazing! If I had known how bad his heart was I would have took him to the emergency room at the Joplin Hospital immediately! So, I said sure I would come down Monday evening, spend the night and take him to Joplin the next morning.

We headed to Joplin that hot Tuesday morning and all the way Dad said "There's nothing wrong with my heart, I excercise 2 hours a day and have all my adult life." He said they would probably do a Balloon Shunt if he had a blocked artery and we would head back home that afternoon.

WELL, by the time they got Dad in and they did a dye test all his artries were blocked except about a 1/4" in one! The heart Doctor came out to talk to me and Mom. He had the XRay and showed us Dad's heart and the blocked artries. He said if they did not operate immediately, Dad would have a massive heart attack! WOW! this was devasting! He said they would put a surigical team together immediately and do Bypass heart surgery. He told us they had Dad prepped for surgery in the pre-op room and we could go talk him, he said to say "Goodbye" for he might not make it through the surgery. This is when both Mom and I lost it! Mom started crying, I went hysterical, and it was chaos. We went in to see Dad, he was crying, he told me he loved me and to take care of Mom. The rest is history.

Comments

Popular Posts