915 W. Cherry Street





























From Spring Street we moved to Cherry Street. We moved in the summer that I started 1st grade, so I would have been around 6 (I remember I hated to go to school! I would cry every morning and then at school I would call the teacher, "Teacher" and she made me sit in a corner until I would call her Mrs. Nichols! I also had a very hard time learning to read, the Dick and Jane stuff was just not clicking in my brain. I remember in the reading circle I just didn't get it! Then one day all of a sudden, I GOT IT! I understood the words Dick, Jane, Spot-the repetition FINALLY SUNK IN! I remember Mrs. Nichols vividly to this day!) All us kids loved the Cherry Street house, it was big, had heat, a basement, garage and big playhouse in the backyard (actually it must had been the previous owners work shop) The Cherry Street house was in the center of all the daily activity in Nevada, we were 1/2 block from Cottey College http://www.cottey.edu/home/about/buildingA.html an all girls Liberal Arts College, and about 4-5 blocks to the square or "uptown" as we called it. It was the all the shopping and dining surrounding the courthouse .http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv1425.php lots of hustle and bustle until Walmart came in 1970 and literally "wiped" out our uptown! We went to Franklin School, also walking distance from our house which we also used as our play ground in the warm months. Our neighbor next door, Martha Braswell was a retired music teacher from Cottey. Her husband Mac, worked at a bank in Kansas City so he lived in an apartment in Kansas City and visited on the weekends and holidays. They had no children, so they "kinda" adopted Me, Marilyn and sometimes Marty. We spent lots of overnights with Martha, she let us go grocery shopping with her and we got to buy whatever we wanted! We had Blueberry Muffins, Coco Puff Cereal, Pancakes, French Toast, Cinnamon Toast and the best-they let us drink coffee! Of course with lots of sugar! Coming from a large family of six kids, we were in Heaven! She took us on the Greyhound Bus to visit Mac at his apartment in KC. Mac lived just off The Country Club Plaza. They took us to the Zoo, shopping on The Country Club Plaza, Putsch's 210 for lunch and the Movie Theatre on The Plaza, (I will never forget the Theatre, it was fancy and a gentleman in a red suit walked us to our seats!) The Cherry Street house also had 2 bedrooms and a summer sleeping porch. Mom, Dad, Me, Marilyn, Galen and Thurman had the front bedroom and Barbara had the back bedroom. Marty sleep on the porch in the warm months and shared Barbara's room in the cold months. We had a gas stove heater in the dining room that heated the entire house. I also remember Galen riding his tricycle from the kitchen to the living room. Mom had a wringer washer on the back porch and I remember helping her by turning the handle on the wringer washer to wringer the water out of the clothes one piece at a time! Then we would take the laundry to the clothes line in the backyard (and ladies think they have it difficult today!) Mom's Mother, Amy Evans passed away while we lived on Cherry Street. I remember visiting her at the hospital and then she died. I remember so clearly it was 1959, I was 7 years old and Mom was sitting on the backyard step crying, so I just sit down beside her, I really did not know what to do, I just sat there.
Group Kid picture above-
I have to apologize to Marilyn. Her and I both claimed this picture as "My" birthday party on Cherry Street. After thinking about it this is Marilyn's party. My birthday is March 28th, always cold/rainy, so this is clearly Aug 11th, summer time! I dearly wanted to claim this as my party, I know as the "middle" child I was always fighting for attention!











































Comments

Popular Posts